5 days a week, my gym partner and I hit the gym every morning for a 45 minute weight lifting routine. After some time you notice who are the “regulars” and their gym mannerisms. Unfortunately, a pair of regulars have no regard to other patrons since both like to literally drop the weights after each set causing unnecessary annoying clankling sounds. It doesn’t matter if its from free weights or stand alone machines. I don’t know what their deal is but if its their way of getting attention, they definitely got mine…. in a very bad way.
I only made mention of it because I want to share tips on what to do and NOT to do in the weight room of a gym.
1. DO NOT drop any weights because over time it will damage the weight/equipment. Plus its a safety hazard not only for the user but neighboring weight lifters. Not to mention, it brings undue attention from users such as myself.
2. Listen to your body. If you attempted to lift a particular weight but you clearly can’t finish a set, try to safety re-rack so you can adjust the weight. Pushing yourself often lead to injury but if you must push yourself, then ask someone to spot you.
3. Bring your own towel. I don’t know how bougie the gym you attend because the ones I’m a member of do not have available towels. This is a must for me since I sweat like a pig.
4. Wear gym outfits that work for you. For instance restricting clothes are uncomfortable and it shows because the wearer constantly fidgets/adjusts every so often. Its time wasted from every routine, clearly not suitable when you’re short in time.
5. Have fun with your routine by changing the exercise or adding a different routine. If you don’t, you would get bored leading to you quitting and end up wasting your gym membership. Don’t become a statistic!
6. If you’re gym rat, please try not to hog the machines, bench and weights. Other patrons are trying to work out too. As a regular, clearly you have an idea when the gym is packed so either try to limit your weight usage to 30 minutes or come at a different time.
Did I miss any? Let me know what are your pet peeves when working out in the gym.