Being able to wash clothes is a must especially on long vacations and its a life saver for when the hotel or Airbnb does not offer such a service. For me its a staple and I have no qualms of using it even given the stigma behind laundromats.
Here’s a few tips I learned;
1. Most laundromat places are clean but it does not hurt to do some research before heading there.
2. Research if it has the option of paying with a card or do you need to bring cash/coins. It pays to read the reviews as well so you get an idea of how the place is managed.
3. Bring your own laundry soap, fabric softener and dryer sheets. Most have limited selections plus they might not have what you need depending on the material you’re planning to wash.
4. Be aware of machines that might not be working as well. Some might be a dud such as not having enough heat on certain dryers or other flaws due to wear.
5. If number 4 is your issue don’t be afraid to bring it up to management, most would reimburse the cost of what you paid for so you can use a differen machine.
6. Be prepared to wait. You need to have time when using laudromats, usually a washing cycle is between 20-30 minutes while a drying cycle range from 30-35 minutes. Add in the time needed to fold clothes, usually I’m there for 2 hours.
7. Bring your own entertainment. Most laundromats are not equipped with televisions or stacks of magazines so if you’re prone to get bored easy, might as well make use of your time there.
8. Other patrons are courteous enough to not hog the equipment so also pack a lot of patience with you, in case you happen to experience some exceptions to the rule.
9. Laundromats are noisy and it can get warm so plan to dress comfortably. Also, bring a pair of earbuds to stifle the noise. Usually I binge watch Youtube videos, it helps passes the time quickly.
10. Be mindful that most do not offer bathroom facilities so if you’re prone to bathroom breaks, research a place that has nearby public bathrooms that you can use.