Finally! Our Alaskan cruise is currently underway until my daughter and I found out that we didn’t have any “sea legs.” Our first day in the cruise was us medicating on Dramamine!
As virgin cruisers we definitely learned the following;
1. Bring Dramamine even if you think you can handle a bout of motion-sickness. It beats having to pay the cruise rate of nearly $7 with a pack of 3 tablets!
2. A 10 day cruise for us is far too long on a boat. Our future cruises would have to be less than 10 days.
3. Bring cash since most establishments has a policy of minimum card purchases of $5. At other times the connectivity might not let you charge your card at all.
4. Even if you are sailing to a cold climate bring a swimsuit/bathing suit. The cruises now have indoor swimming pool and hot tubs for everyone to enjoy.
5. Do take advantage of the room service especially if you do not feel like dressing up just to eat.
6. You can take food inside your room just be mindful to leave your plates and/or tray outside your room for servers to pick up afterwards. You can’t risk having an investation inside your room.
7. Wash your hands every chance you get. Being in closed quarters with other passengers can be disastrous if symptoms of any type of sickness is left unchecked.
8. Do take advantage of working out in the gym. Classes such as spin and yoga are taught so it doesn’t mean that a cruise should hinder you from working out.
9. Pack a lot of patience and a sense of humor. Be mindful that lot of retirees and disabled are also on-board, trust me you are not the only one as excited to get on the cruise. (Of course, kids by default are always included).
10. Teens will be teens, remember you were once a teenager so give them some slack.
11. At the beginning of the cruise do attend the safety briefing because it is a requirement. Yes, it is your vacation but so is everyone else on board.
12. Do try the local cuisine, its now or never.
13. The cruise staff are there to serve but they are people too so keep the self entitlements to yourself.
14. You can have fun even on a budget.
15. Be kind to yourself specially as you meander through the buffet lines. Food should not be a chore or a form of self pity so eat up, drink up and be merry!